We were sitting in my American Sport in the 21st Century class talking about values. In almost every class in my Sport Management department here at Slippery Rock, we have talked at least once about values, morals, and ethics. Your values are something you really care about; you take pride in, and are proud to let others know about. In class we discussed character building and developing certain traits. From the time I was very young my parents instilled a certain set of values in me that would help mold me into a professional and respectable young man. Things like religion, reputation, work ethic, and most of all family. I have accepted these values and they are very important to me. My dad would always tell me to never put shame on your name. The name George (my last name) is the most important thing I own and that it not only represents me, but my entire family. If I do something wrong or get in trouble, it not only looks bad on me, but my parents, brother and sister as well. He taught me to be admired and respected. If I am admired, people want to be like me. That means I’m doing something right and if I am respected, I am making the right choices and good decisions in life.
Now that you know a little about my values, I want to talk about Tony Dungy, former Indianapolis Colts head coach. I want to talk about Tony because of the way he carries himself. The man walked away from football at the top of his career. The colts were legitimate super bowl contenders every year but Tony made the decision to give it all up to give back to the world. In this article I found, he talks about his higher calling and why he is doing what he is today, and that is changing lives. He is showing that people deserve a second chance no matter how bad the crime as long as they were willing to fully commit themselves and really want to change. In this article Dungy is referred to as "a messenger from God" and "is viewed as the moral compass of American sports." Dungy is a man of respect, decency, and character. He talks about how before Mike Vick got arrested; he was with him promoting the game being played in Japan between the Falcons and the Colts. He got to talk to Vick and they jokingly agreed to go fishing one day during the off season to get to know one another. That fishing trip never happened though and Tony still asks himself, if I just had a little time with Mike, could I have helped save his life and get him on the right track? This shows me the type of man Tony is and his passion for helping others. He went to visit Vick in a Kansas prison before his sentence was over. He talked with Mike for a few hours and asked him questions that he wanted to hear the right answers to so he could decide if he really wanted to help the former superstar out. Tony likes to use his faith as a guide and direction when helping people. Although he doesn’t make them turn to god or faith, he finds it easier to relate and teach with it. With a good recommendation from Tony, Mike could end up back on the field one day and he eventually did. This showed me that Tony has not just great pull in the NFL organization but great respect around the league. I saw it as, if Tony took the time out of his busy day to go talk to a criminal, then the man obviously sees that this prisoner is willing to fully take responsibility and change his life. Tony speaks to prisons all over the country and is saddened by the number of young adults that are African-American behind bars. Back in the beginning of the college football season, University of Oregon running back LeGarrette Blount punched Boise State linebacker Byron Hout in the mouth after a postgame confrontation. Oregon head coach Chip Kelly decided to suspend Blount for the entire season but Kelly really was unsure if he has made the right decision, Blount was one of their best players and a starter. Kelly contacted Tony and although he never spoke with him before, Tony was willing to talk to him and his troubled player. Tony spoke on the phone with the running back for several hours giving advice and answering questions. Blount was then reinstated for the last few games of the season. Kelly later said that “Tony Dungy was a man of impeccable integrity, who understands young men.”
Mike Vick isn’t the only player Tony has helped out during his short time away from football. He has helped several famous people and other unknown average Joe people. Tony’s commitment to doing the right thing, faith, and family are all values I have and am proud of. He is a great role model for young adults starting to get into the real world. He sets a good example of how to carry yourself in the professional world that it’s not all about when you do on the field, but it’s what you do when you are not playing the game. How are you going to change someone’s life today?
Here is a copy of the article from ESPN.com http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=100128/TonyDungy
Interesting perspective on Dungy - he is a man of values, and the death in his family most likely gave him the push to leave coaching and go on to his next calling. He is a great family man who has values and knew the order of importance within his life.
ReplyDeleteIf the sports world had a person like Dungy on every team then the problems we have in the sports world today would most likely not exist. I had not heard of Dungy talking to Vick or Blunt, but now that I have I am glad to see that such a great man has not left the sports world entirely.
ReplyDeleteTony Dungy is a highly respected man prior to his early retirement from the NFL. Dungy is a man of great intelligence shown through his brilliant career on the field as a player as well as a coach on the sidelines. He has not only made the National Football League better with his time but also has made this world better as a great man.
ReplyDeleteTony Dungy is with out a doubt a good guy. I wouldnt go as far as saying he is a "messenger of God". However, No fan of the Colts. PITTSBURGH!!!
ReplyDeleteI commend Tony in supporting lost athletes and helping them return to the game. Hopefully the qualities he instills in these players last and are not a temporary fix. I also hope that he reaches out to all athletes within the game of football and just not select players. I will be honest I did not know that Tony had such a dedication to this sport.
ReplyDeleteI think this article is a must read for many young people going into or involved with athletics. Many young people today feel that they are "above the rules" when they are involved in sports whether it is pro or school associated. Tony is a great example of what a young player should want to be like. Agree with this article 100%!
ReplyDeleteSteve, awesome write-up!!! What a great man you chose to write about. We could all use a positive and Christian influence like Tony in our lives!! Keep up the great work Steve!!!
ReplyDeleteDid Mr. Dungy's son commit suicide? If so, Tony should pay more attention to his family rather than the criminal types in the NFL. He should clean up his own house first. Tony is a decent man but these "bad boys" in the pros should endure severe consequences first before they receive the compassion and forgiveness of Mr. Dungy.
ReplyDeletePete: I believe that not putting a shame to your name is 100% correct. For example, if an athlete shows off, has bad sportsmanship or his conduct is bad on/off the field, then it would definitely give a bad rep to their last name. As for Dungy, I was never a Colts fan but I do respect Tony 100% because of the way he coached his players and there were hardly any of his players that got into serious trouble. This is because, Tony taught each individual the right from wrong. When you can teach your players about faith and what not it brings the team together as a unit and then they perform well like the Colts have been doing. As for him talking to Vick, I think it helped Vick out in many ways because since that incident he has been in better shape and for Blount, I did not agree for him to get suspended. Because if you look at the tape, the player from Boise Stae got in his face and started stuff what shows bad sportsmanship.
ReplyDeleteTony Dungy is a man to be respected and admired. Too many professional athletes these days seem to forget their values and where they started from. I sincerely hope Vick has learned his lesson since a lot of people have stuck their necks out for him.
ReplyDeleteAthletes today have many things to deal with other than the sport they are playing. Take Tiger Woods as an example. Fame and money got to him, and he made some bad choices. He may play gold again, but this ruined him as a person. Athletes need to have some type of counseling when entering the professional ranks. Something happens to them - their values change.
ReplyDeleteInteresting discussion. Something definitely went wrong with Tiger Woods. Of course maybe too much was expected of him. In the big scheme of things though he is only a golfer so who really cares?
ReplyDeleteGreat article. Its good to see that there are still highly respectable people still involved with sports today.Its also worth noting that his values can be seen in Tony's teams as well. Another coach of great faith and vale is The Ohio State's Jim Tressel.
ReplyDeleteProfessional athletics, Hollywood, and corporate America prove that money is the root of all evil. What about Ben Roethlisberger? Even if he did not commit an indecent or illegal act what in the world is he doing hanging around college kids? Immaturity and money is dangerous combination.
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome, Steve! Tony Dungy really is a great guy. I was able to hear him speak at a conference called Catalyst last year, and he is definitely the real deal. Enjoyed your post, man! I hope everything is going well with school, and I hope to see you back in Cranberry sometime soon.
ReplyDelete