Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Salary Caps


On a similar subject as my previous post about pro athlete’s salaries, the topic of salary caps is always something on the mind of owners, athletes, and fans. I personally think of it most often when watching or hearing about the Pirates. As most of you know, there is no salary cap in baseball. What a salary cap is is a method of keeping costs down and balance the league. The NFL, NHL, and NBA all have salaries. They are all different but have the same ultimate purpose. Baseball however, doesn’t have any. This is something I really wish they had especially because I am a huge Pirate fan and I would love nothing more than to see them succeed. I don’t know what good would come out of it for the buccos but I would assume it would help us. We don’t have a very high payroll but good teams would be forced to cut their big time players because they couldn’t afford them leaving room for my Pirates to come in and possibly pick up someone good rather than releasing our "star" players. A quote from the ESPN article I found sums up what I am trying to say, "As economists like to point out, if you want less of something, you should put a tax on it -- and player salaries are no exception. Reduce the ability of the richest teams to bid up the price of players and salaries are sure to fall."

Before we talked about salary caps in class, I had a general idea of what they were, but not that they have a bunch of different kinds and what comes with it from the Larry Bird exception to hard and soft caps. I’m glad I know a little more about them now so I at least know what the heck I’m talking about when the subject arises.


No comments:

Post a Comment