Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Stadium Subsides

So for our debate in our class we are arguing for the public’s money to go towards new stadiums and arenas in our cities for our teams. At first I didn’t really know what my stance was on this subject. I didn’t know too much about it other than our tax money went to PNC Park, Heinz Field, and the new Consol Energy Center. There was a lot of controversy over the new Penguins arena and I remember there was a deal that was supposed to go down about a grocery center in Shenley if the arena actually did go up. I hear there still is no store for the people of Shenley but there certainly is a brand new arena that’s about to open in a few months. This tells me that our money might be used for things most of us enjoy but the fact that there still is a problem with the agreement tells me that the city is just looking out for themselves. Regardless of that situation I still think that the public should definitely be responsible for helping fund the stadiums. After doing my research I concluded that without the public’s help, most stadiums would not be built and teams would most likely relocate to a city that would pay. That I think is one of the biggest factors. The Penguins were very close and ready to relocate to Kansas City or Las Vegas because they were both willing to pay for an arena and are dying for a team. How could the public possibly complain, especially in Pittsburgh, with the recent success the pro teams have seen, minus the Pirates of course! When the Steelers missed out on the playoffs this past year, the city missed out, not lost, but missed out on making around $20 million on merchandise, food, hotels, etc...We bring success to the table, which to me is worth my tax money. People from Pittsburgh are so connected to our teams it’s unreal at times. We live and die by our sports. If they are doing bad, the whole moral of the city goes down, but if we are successful and win Superbowls, the entire city is on one big emotional high that spreads like an unstoppable virus! To truly understand what sports mean to the people of Pittsburgh, you have to be a true citizen who was born and bred Black and Gold. Not every team succeeds but the current trend is that if your team is good, you will get support and people forget about their tax dollars and whether it goes into arena or not. If you stink, the tables are turned. Either way I think that tax payers should help fund them because the cost of paying for a stadium is nothing compared to the feeling of being champions...even though we aren’t even on the team!!!

http://minneapolis.about.com/b/2010/01/14/should-minnesota-pay-for-a-new-stadium-for-the-vikings.htm

http://www.dailyrepublican.com/stadium-understated-cost.html

1 comment:

  1. First I like to say that I know you have spent a lot of time on this issue and are obviously familiar with this topic. One idea that would make these blogs more enjoyable for me is to write an entire article that has no reference to Pittsburgh or anything assocaited with Pittsburgh. Anyway I do agree that the community and its sport team share a relationship that provides that one should support the other and vice versa. However from a pure economic side tax money needs to go to whatever way is best for the citizens. If Pittsburgh decides to spend all their money to fund a new stadium instead of providing a supermarket so that that elderly can become self-sufficient then shame on Pittsburgh. Stadiums and arenas cannot support a town. Why not spend money and get a new business that will provide 2000 jobs that do not pay minimum wage. That will provide morale on a larger scale and for a more consistent time period. I know sports are important but there is more to life then pro sports.

    ReplyDelete